Blackwing Starting Point Set
The Blackwing Starting Point Set is the perfect way to introduce the artist or maker on your gift list to the magic of Blackwing products.
The Blackwing Starting Point Set is the perfect way to introduce the artist or maker on your gift list to the magic of Blackwing products. Each set includes:
- (4) Blackwing Pencils: Matte, Pearl, 602 and Natural
- (2) Point Guards to keep your pencils from breaking on the go
- (1) Black Long Point Sharpener that uses a two-step process to first sharpen the wood before precision sharpening the graphite
- (2) Sets of Replacement Erasers
More to the Story
Blackwing’s roots date back to the 1930’s when the 602 model was first introduced by the Eberhard Faber Pencil Company. Over the years, the pencil with the unique rectangular eraser became synonymous with quality. Then, in 1998, after several corporate acquisitions, it was discontinued, but not forgotten. In fact, fans began paying as much as $40 on eBay for a single Blackwing pencil.
Artists soon noticed that Palomino’s range of premium pencils compared favorably to the Blackwing 602. They began asking Palomino to consider reviving the Blackwing brand, complete with its defining rectangular eraser. Palomino founder Charles Berolzheimer, whose family’s roots in the pencil industry date back to the mid 19th century, used the company’s unique supply relationships to re-introduce Blackwing pencils in 2010 featuring California Genuine Incense-cedar and premium Japanese graphite. The pencil has drawn rave reviews from users and national media attention.
In the last few years, Blackwing has grown from a single pencil into a culture. It’s a culture that encourages and empowers creativity in all forms, especially in our nation’s schools. In fact, a percentage of every Blackwing product sold benefits music and arts education at the K-12 level.
Blackwing Starting Point Set measures 9.75" L x 8" W x 2" H
Safety & Care
- Recommended for ages 10+
- CHOKING HAZARD: Small parts, not suitable for children under 3 years old.
- Pencils are made from California incense-cedar, Japanese graphite, and aluminum ferrule
- Point Guards are made of lightweight, machined aluminum
- Sharpener is made with German stainless steel sharpening blades and heavy duty plastic